Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Improvised Inspiration

I am sorry for not posting sooner, but I have had an exciting week! Plus, this week is my spring break so I have been crafting up a storm! So, to re-cap from my last blog post.... The interview with the editor of Inspire(d) went very well. We got to talk for about an hour and a half about all things magazines! She did very well at laying out the process of starting a magazine and definitely opened my eyes to some of the flaws in my own future plans. Which is great, because I would much rather figure them out now than later! :) Tuesday was also great, if you remember my last post, because I got to go see the ballet with my family. The ballet was cute and I enjoyed it very much! Seeing my family was great! My mom gave me a cutting board, so now I can cut fabric! I had a meeting downtown on Thursday, so I took a lovely little walk that afternoon. After the meeting was over I walked over to the fabric store that was a block away. I knew I had to get a rotary cutter for my new cutting board and I wanted to look at fabric too. I did get the rotary cutter, $20 for the small one! Plus I bought a $9 pattern! Nick and I are trying to live within our means so splurging on fabric on top of those purchases wasn't an option. Fabric at real fabric stores (not walmart) is expensive! The cheapest I found was like $8 a yard! It is quality fabric and well worth it, but still not in my budget. I had some scrap fabric at home that I figured I would start with first anyways. I did however, find this awesome deal. They had a scrap bucket that you could look through and grab as many scraps as you could fit into a quart plastic bag for $2. It just so happens that there were scraps of fabric in the very same collection that I had been eyeballing in the first place. I filled my bag and came home with some pretty decent sized scraps. They will make a nice little quilt top someday! The scrap quilt was not going to be my first project though. It will involve too much math and I still have to figure out what pattern I want to use for it. I decided to start with the scrap fabric I had at home. I had two plaids that I had been planning on making some clothes out of, but I hate matching up prints and plaids are the worst! I have been toying around with the idea of making some cloth napkins for awhile. We got some for our wedding and I love them! They are machine washable and we therefore don't have to buy paper napkins all the time. Environmentally conscious too! :) It was settled. I would turn the two plain fabrics into cloth napkins! Great idea! Except.... I had the cutting board and I had the rotary cutter... but no ruler! Oh no! I looked around the apartment for something to use for the time being. I was so excited to get the napkins done there was no way I was going to walk all the way back to the fabric store to get a ruler. Improvisation won the day. I pulled this picture off of my wall that was actually a wedding present and used it as a ruler for the day. It worked great! (For the time being....) So, I cut all the napkins out first. I was able to get 10 napkins out of the red plaid and 6 out of the blue plaid (pictured above). Then I pinned the sides and stitched them right up! The results were some pretty sweet cloth napkins! They remind me of picnics, which reminds me of spring, which reminds me that good weather is right around the corner! :) See! Aren't they cute! :) I will be adding some applique to the red plaid ones, but I think the blue ones are done. Like I said, I have been crafting up a storm because I am really trying to enjoy my spring break so some good blog posts to come! :) Until Tomorrow, ~Elise

1 comment:

  1. Like my blog? Have you considered becoming a follower? ;)

    ReplyDelete